Law enforcement personnel observed 66,421 drivers engaging in unsafe driver behaviors on roadways and issued 71,343 warnings and citations as part of Operation Safe Driver Week.
Enforcement officials interacted with 29,921 commercial motor vehicle drivers during this year’s Operation Safe Driver Week. Commercial motor drivers received a total of 10,736 traffic enforcement warnings and citations. Broken out, that’s 6,077 warnings and 4,659 citations.
The top five traffic enforcement citations given to commercial motor vehicle drivers were:
- Speeding/violation of basic speed law/driving too fast for the conditions – 2,339
- Failure to use seat belt while operating commercial motor vehicle – 1,003
- Failure to obey traffic control device – 617
- Using a hand-held phone/texting – 269
- Improper lane change – 122